Wednesday, August 18, 2010

When Sandy Gives You Lemons, Make Tarte au Citron

IMG_0030

L E M O N S
......
My friend and work- out buddy,
Sandy,
has this
Meyer Lemon tree
that gives
lemons
all year around.


(show off those buff abs, Sandy!)


IMG_0028




Sandy
always has
lemons
to keep
and to share!

Toulouse and I
stopped by
Sandy's house
to grab some
lemons
off of the
giving tree.
They
smelled like
LEMON MERINGUE PIE!
really!!

I
love
Lemon Meringue Pie

without the meringue.

IMG_0002
Look at these fragrant beauties!



So,
what about
Lemon Curd?

mmmmmmmmmm..





IMG_0003
First I zested four lemons,
and then
I juiced them.


The juice
6 eggs
and sugar
cook in the double boiler for about 10 minutes
until
thick and
Hollandaise like.


IMG_0006




IMG_0007
After cooking,
take off heat and add
butter
(Ah, butter!)
and the lemon zest



Incorporate
aka
mix well



Then,
a crust!
I really love the crust
in the Bavarian Apple Torte recipe
from
DEUX
(Petit Soleil's Recipe Collection),
so,
that's what I made.
It's
SO
EASY!



IMG_0012

IMG_0014



Grind up
walnuts,
add flour
sugar
and butter
(Ah, butter..)



IMG_0017
pat the dough
into a springform
or tart pan


IMG_0018
bake for about 15 minutes
or so


IMG_0019
ready
to be filled
with
lemon curd

That's it!!
Chill for a few hours
until set


IMG_0023

The rest of the curd
is in two jars...

Maybe to spread on some
lemon-coconut scones

IMG_0024

ooops
I didn't chill the tarte
long enough

Patience is not my
forte


it gooped,
a bit

Pretty yummy,
though...


TARTE AU CITRON

Lemon Curd
First zest about 4-5 fragrant lemons. Save. Squeeze the juice from the lemons and run it through a sieve. measure about
2/3 c.fresh squeezed lemon juice
add
1 1/2 c. sugar
6 eggs
to top part of double boiler. Cook the lemon mixture over boiling water until it thickens - (about 8 - 10 minutes).
Take off heat and add
6 TBS. butter
3 Tbs. lemon zest
and
1 tsp. vanilla

let cool

Crust
1 c. walnute
process in food processor until it becomes walnut meal
3/4 c. flour (I use whole wheat pastry flour)
1/2 c. sugar
process and add
6 TBS. butter (cut up)
process until combined
Press into a springform or a tart pan. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15-20 minutes - until golden
Let cool!
Pour lemon curd into crust and chill until set.
or don't wait and just eat it.
So
Good!





2 comments:

  1. Um yes please!! I could eat this for breakfast/lunch and DINNER!! Oh and dessert!! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made it tonight, can't wait until tomorrow to try it! Dianne you inspired even me, the non-cook!

    ReplyDelete